My First Week in London

first week london

A week. It’s been a week since I moved to London. I can’t believe how quick it’s went. My year here will be over in a flash.

If you’re up-to-date with my blog/Twitter/Instagram, you’ll know that I am currently interning at The London Fashion Agency in Brixton, owned by my first #GirlBossMonday, Rosie Davies. I’ll be posting all about my week on Friday.

I start my placement job at Coty next Monday which I am very excited about! I’m meeting some of the new interns this week for drinks before starting on Monday so that we’re not going in completely clueless.

I thought I’d make a little section on my blog called ‘My Year in London’ where I will document my work experience, how I’m finding my placement and of course, the things I get up around the city in my spare time.

So how did my first week go?

Well I’m currently sat on a train that is headed to Waterloo instead of the opposite direction of Wimbledon in which I am meant to be going, if that gives you an indication. It’s also reaching 30 degrees and that is not a great temperature to be riding around on tubes and trains during rush hour. Don’t let this blip fool you, as it’s the only challenge I’ve come across during my seven days here. Other than this, my week has been amazing. Although, it was only a matter of time before I got on the wrong train.

I moved down to London last Wednesday and collected my keys, grabbed a few things that I needed, like a duvet and pillows, you know, the essentials. I went for a lovely meal in Wimbledon with my parents who had flew over to help me with the move. Not going to lie, I had been eating out almost every day for the last month saying my goodbyes, and I was looking forward to starting my diet as soon as they went home.

On Thursday I spent all day in my new house waiting for my luggage to arrive via UniBags but in normal UniBag style, only one box was delivered. A morning and afternoon wasted, but the evening didn’t half make up for it.

Train update: I’m now on a train which I hope is headed in the direction of Wimbledon, yet everyone seems to be facing the opposite way. I hope they all just prefer travelling backwards. Time will tell. Although the American I spoke to on the platform ensured me it was heading to Wimbledon, but he didn’t look that confident.

A night at the West End

I’ve always been madly into musicals, having been a member of an amateur drama group since the age of 12. I’ve performed in a lot of productions and have also been to see many West End tours in Belfast and Dublin. My favourite show is Les Miserablés which I know every lyric to, from start to finish, and have been lucky to have performed in the show twice. The last part I played was Fantine and it was also my last show with the group, making it a performance I’ll always remember.

Before moving to London I’d only been on a holiday-type visit once, for my 18th birthday. My parents and I looked at tickets but the prices were ridiculously expensive and I always said there would be a chance in the future.

It was my mum’s birthday on Father’s Day, so to celebrate the two occasions, I wanted to get them something special for when they came to Liverpool to help me move down to London. I had a look at the West End and tickets for Les Miserablés were very reasonable as it was so last minute. I thought £27 per ticket was a steal so I grabbed three tickets for the front row of the top balcony. We had to lean over slightly, but we could see the entire stage and had no one blocking our view in front.

I had the most amazing time and I don’t think it will be my last time in the Queen’s Theatre this year. I also met my first London Irish who was selling programmes in the interval. Hi Sophie from Cork, you won’t be reading this but thanks for being so lovely!

My first weekend

On Friday after a few (stern-but-polite) phone-calls to Parcel Force, the remainder of my luggage finally arrived at 11am. My parents and I then took the tram to Wimbledon and grabbed lunch at The Terrace Bar and Restaurant.

When we were leaving the restaurant, there was a setup of champagne glasses and about 20 bottles of champagne and prosecco behind a rope enclosure and a sign reading ‘Coty’. I haven’t even started my job and I’m already crashing their drinks reception.

I said my goodbyes to my parents and then that was it, I was on my own.

My new room is incredible. Compared to my box of a room in Kensington (Liverpool, not London), it’s a penthouse suite. I have my own bathroom, a flatscreen TV and so much room for activities. Did you catch the reference? I stayed in and watched Love Island, which is what every night of my life now revolves around.

On Saturday, I finally got to meet fellow PR blogger, Marcel Klebba. Marcel has lived here in London for a few years, so who better to show me some of the sights? I had my first ever Wagamamas and also my first ever gin and tonic. A few things ticked off my bucket list in less than an hour. Speaking of bucket lists, I’m in the middle of compiling a London Bucket List which I will be posting next week and working my way through for the next 12 months.

Marcel took me around Soho, showing me where he worked, the Twitter headquarters, the Tate Modern and then down by Tower Bridge. It was an area I had never seen before, so it was nice to walk along the Thames and even see the Shakespeare Globe Theatre.


Train update: I am now on the right train, however my makeup is sliding down my face at an alarming rate. This weather is too much.

With the weather still hot on Sunday, I was definitely not for sitting in my bedroom all day, especially not when my bedroom felt like a sauna. I went for a walk in the park which is only a few minutes from my house. The park is beautiful and I will definitely be making use of the close proximity for evening walks after work.

Mainly I spent my Sunday faffing about until Love Island started.

This week

I started my week’s work experience at The London Fashion Agency on Monday and it’s already gone by so quick. Tomorrow is Thursday and then it will be my last day after that. You’ll be able to read all about my week at LFA on Friday!

My first week in London has been great, I’ve seen some sights, met some friends, made new friends and gained valuable PR experience.

Let’s see what the next week and year has to bring!



  1. July 6, 2017 / 4:02 pm

    Sounds like you’re having a fab time! I’ve been living in London for the past two years for uni and it’s completely stolen my heart. Hope you have the most amazing year! xxx

    • OrlaghClaire
      July 9, 2017 / 1:05 pm

      Thank you so much Emma! If you have any suggestions of what I should get up to, send them my way! I’m in the middle of compiling a London Bucket List so I want to see and do as much as I can! xxx

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.